Andratx has a surface are of 82.55 km² and an average height of 101 metres. It is bounded by Estellencs to the north and by Calvià to the east, while the rest of the territory is bounded by the sea. It is 27 km from Palma. This municipality is located in the most western part of Mallorca, on the southwest end of the mountain range of Serra de Tramuntana.
It is a coastal municipality with small coves, big cliffs and four islets. Among these, it is important to highlight Sa Dragonera, which was declared Natural Park in 1995.
It has more than 11.000 inhabitants, who live in six different population centres. Inland, there are the villages of Andratx, S’Arracó and Sa Coma, while on the coast there is Port d’Andratx, Sant Elm and Camp de Mar.
There is not much information on the first settlers in Andratx due to the lack of systematic excavations, although it has been proved that some caves were inhabited during the Bronze Age. It is important to mention the famous navetas from the Talaiotic culture, the remains of which are only to be found in Ses Basses. From the years 1300-1000 BC we can still find huge constructions such as the talaiots of Biniorella, Son Fortuny and Es Castellàs in S’Arracó.
In 1229, the troops commanded by James I conquered the island and, as a result, the
Bishop of Barcelona, Berenguer de Palou, became the first Christian knight to receive the possessions of Andratx, Calvià, Puigpunyent, Estellencs, Marratxí, Pla de Sant Jordi and the parish church of Santa Creu in Palma.
In 1248 the parish church of Santa Maria d’Andratx was founded.
The first pirate incursions took place in the 15th century. In 1406, the construction of a fortification in the village began, although it was never completed.
In the 19th century, the village grew thanks to the modernisation of the economy and industry. The village ended up having 16 soap factories and a few wood factories. However, at the end of that century, the municipality fell into a recession due to the declining industry and suffered a strong emigration process. People from Andratx emigrated to Cuba, while those from S’Arracó emigrated to France, an event that marked the late 19th century and the early 20th century.
From the second half of the 20th century onwards, wealth came back to this municipality thanks to the tourism, construction and service industries. It is important to highlight the residential area of Port d’Andratx, the beginning of a wide residential area in Camp de Mar and Sant Elm, as well as the unification of Sa Coma with the village, which turns Sa Coma into a neighbourhood. Nowadays, most people in Andratx work in the the tourist, building and service industry.
Information of Interest
ENLLAÇ CENTRE D’ART
Official reserve accommodation
Book online hotel, apartments, serviced apartments, hostels, cottages, villas and boutique hotels in Mallorca (Balearic Islands). Tour to travel to Mallorca on holiday or business trips.
Mallorca Hotel Business Federation - NIF V07221435 - Aragón 215 3ª planta - (07008) Palma de Mallorca - Illes Balears - Spain.
Recorded in the Executive Office Deposit Statute of Professional Associations of the Balearic Islands, dated September 1977.